Indira Gandhi or Indira Priyadarshini Gandhi was brutally assassinated by own Sikh bodyguards Beant Singh and Satwant Singh on October 31, 1984.
It was the same day when she had launched ‘Operation Blue Star’ to crush the secessionist movement in Punjab. For this, she had sent troops into the Golden Temple. Nearly 31 shots were fired at her, out of which one missed her.
23 bullets had passed via her body while seven of them were trapped inside. Her demise resulted in anti-Sikh riots all over the India which led the banishment and mass killing from Sikh community. Today is the 33rd death anniversary of the only first female prime minister of India till now. Check out some the unusual facts about her.
Facts Of Indira Gandhi:
1. Born on November 19, 1917
She did her educated in Swiss schools and Somerville college (Oxford).
2. Indira was the daughter of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru and was a renowned leader worldwide.
She is remembered for her exceptional leadership and the introduction of the Green Revolution in India.
3. She is the second longest-serving Indian prime minister after her father.
Indira was in office from Jan 1966 to March 1977 and again from Jan 1980 till her assassination in October 1984. She was the third serving PM of India.
4. Indira was appointed as the president of the Indian National Congress (INC) in the year 1960.
5. Indira Gandhi was well known for her political harshness.
During her rule at the emergency period (1975-1977), she found fundamental civil freedom and censored press freedom. It is known as the most prominent blemish in the history of Indian economy.
6. Sonia Gandhi (Her daughter-in-law) once said that Indira never wanted to join politics.
Sonia said if she had been given an opportunity, she would have lived a life away entirely away from the politics.
5. Bloodstained saree preserved at the museum…
The clothes which Indira wore at the time of her murder is kept at New Delhi’s Indira Gandhi Memorial Museum.
6. Indira had rare blood group, i.e., O Negative.
WATCH VIDEO HERE:
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: