Indian Prime minister Narendra Modi fulfilled the dream of Sardar Patel. He inaugurated the Sadar Sarovar Dam in Gujarat on his birthday, i.e., September 17, 2017.
This dam is the gift to Gujarat. The dam took almost 56 years to get it fully constructed. What makes the inauguration even more interesting that the foundation stone of this project was laid out by honorable Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru on April 5, 1961.
Sardar Sarovar Dam is the second biggest concrete gravity dam in the world after America’s Grand Coulee on the river Narmada.
The dam which has 1.2-km length is said to be the largest dam due to its volume of concrete used in it. Let’s check out how it is expected to benefit the states of Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, and Rajasthan.
10 facts about the Sardar Sarovar dam project:
1. The Sardar Sarovar Dam has 163 meters depth.
2. This dam has produced 4,141 crore units of electricity till date.
3. It has two powerhouses – canal head powerhouse and riverbed powerhouse that has an installed capacity of 1,200 MW and 250 MW and respectively.
4. The power generated from the Sardar Sarovar dam will be shared by three states Gujarat, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh.
The Dam’s height was recently increased to 138.68 meters to facilitate a ready to use storage of around 4.73 Million acre-feet and will hugely benefit the participating states.
5. Nearly one billion units of hydropower are expected to be produced yearly from the Sardar Sarovar Dam project.
It is said to have enabled bringing waters of the Narmada river to water-insufficient areas of Gujarat. It is prepared via a big pipeline network and canal.
6. The government claims:
“IRRIGATION FROM THE PROJECT IS EXPECTED TO BENEFIT NEARLY ABOUT 10 LAKH FARMERS AND DRINKING WATER TO BE
SUPPLIED TO MANY VILLAGES AND TOWNS IS POSSIBLY TO BENEFIT UP TO 4 CRORE PEOPLE”.
7. Modi tweeted that the Sardar Sarovar Dam will “BENEFIT BRINGING OF FARMERS AND FULFILL ASPIRATIONS OF PEOPLE”.
8. According to the government, Sardar Sarovar project will provide irrigation facilities to 18.45 lakh hectare of land. This covers 3112 villages in 15 districts of Gujarat.
The government says:
“IT WILL ALSO IRRIGATE 2,46,00 HECTARE OF LAND IN THE DESERT DISTRICTS OF JALLORE AND BARMER IN RAJASTHAN AND 37,500 HECTARE IN THE TRIBAL VALLEY WAY OF MAHARASHTRA VIA LIFT.”
9. The Sardar Sarovar Dam is supposed to give flood protection to riverine reaches measuring 30,000 hectares. The government. that it will cover ss many as 210 villages and Bharuch city.
The project officials of the dam claim that it has already earned nearly Rs 16,000 crore – “MORE THAN DOUBLE THE CONSTRUCTION COST”.
10. While the manufacturing of the dam faced few challenges, the widely famous one is the Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA). This movement is led by social reformer Medha Patkar, flagged both rehabilitation and environment problems related to the project.
WATCH VIDEO HERE: