MOGADISHU, Somalia: At least 18 people including foreigners were killed in a suicide attack outside a restaurant at around 2 a.m on Wednesday night.
Capt. Mohamed Hussein said that the two of the gunmen were shot dead and 10 hostages were rescued but five other terrorists were thought to remain inside, cutting off electricity to make it complex for the security forces to end the military operation.
An ambulance driver with the Amin Ambulance service, Khalif Dahir, said early Thursday they had carried 26 wounded people and 18 dead bodies.
Police said the dead included a Syrian man.
Somalia Restaurant Attack…!!
Hussein said that most of the victims were young men who had been entering the Pizza House when the car exploded. He even added that heavy gunfire was heard.
The debris of the vehicles destroyed in the car bomb explosion…!!
2 gunmen killed..!!
The police and a witness said that gunmen posing as military forces were holding an unknown number of hostages inside a famous restaurant in Mogadishu attack that started when a car bomb exploded at the gate.
The extremist group al-Shabab claimed responsibility….!!
The Somalia-based militant group al-Shabab has claimed responsibility for the suicide car attack in Somalia’s capital, Mogadishu, which began when a car bomb exploded at the restaurant’s gate.
Khalif Dahir says access to the restaurant remains cut off because of the ongoing fight between militants and Somali security forces holed up inside the Pizza House restaurant.
Witness Nur Yasin told that the gunmen “were dressed in military uniforms.” They were forced those running away from the spot to go inside” the restaurant.
The blast wholly destroyed the restaurant’s front and ignites a fire.
While al-Shabab claimed to have hit the surrounding Posh Treats restaurant, which is visited by the city’s superior people and was destroyed in the car blast.
The security officials said the Pizza House was targeted instead….!!
Hussein said that the security forces rescued Kenyan, Asian, Ethiopian and other workers at Posh Treats as the blast continued.
Al-Shabab often aims high-profile areas of Mogadishu, including military checkpoints, hotels and the areas near the presidential palace.
It has promised to step up attacks after the recently elected government set up a new military offensive against it.
According to the Washington-based Africa Center for Strategic Studies, the Somalia-based Al-Shabab in 2016 became the deadliest Islamic extremist group in Africa, with more than 4,200 people killed last year.
The militant group also faces a new military drive from the US after President Trump approved expanded operations, including airstrikes, against al-Shabab.
WATCH VIDEO HERE: