If you are a vegetarian, then replace your chicken soup with Khichdi as both contain same nutrients. It is a blend of rice, many varieties of lentils like (green, yellow or red split).
Overall, it is wholesome meal easy to digest. You can eat them with a curd. It’s not only for sick people but everyone whether rich or poor, young or old. Check out some of the benefits of this excellent flavored dish.
1. Packed with vital nutrients and vitamins
Khichdi is excellent for your health. It contains vitamins, calcium, carbohydrates, dietary fibers, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium. You can also add many vegetables to enhance its nutrition.
2. Good For Stomach
It does not have any powerful spices. So its excellent for your intestines and stomach. This highly nutritional snack is perfect for sick people, infants, small children and an old one.
3. Balance Three Doshas
According to the Ayurveda, this extreme diet balances Vatta, Pitta, and Kapha in your daily routine. Moreover, it calms and removes you from digestive issues, and even detoxify it. Khichdi also boost immunity, digestion, and energy in your body.
4. Gluten Free
Those people that hate gluten can consume Khichdi. Since rice and lentils don’t incorporate any gluten, it’s best for people suffering from gluten sensitivity or celiac disorders.
You will need:
a) ½ cup split moong dal
b) ½ cup rice (any variety)
c) 3.5 cups water
e) 1 finely chopped onion (small to medium sized)
f) 1 small green pepper
g) ¾ tsp of cumin seeds
h) Pinch of asafoetida
i) 1 diced tomato (medium sized)
j) ½ inch cut or grated ginger
k) ¼ tsp of turmeric powder
l) 1.5 tbsp oil or ghee
1. Wash rice and moong lentils thoroughly and soak them in water for neral 30 minutes.
2. Heat 2 tablespoon oil or ghee in a pressure cooker.
3. Add cumin and when it splutters, drop onions into it.
4. Cook them till it gets golden brown.
5. Now add tomatoes, green chili, and ginger in it.
6. Keep on stirring in between and add some turmeric powder, tomatoes, and asafetida.
7. Now, drain the moong lentils and rice and add them to the pressure cooker.
8. Stir for 1 minute and add water and salt in it.10. Close the lid and cook it on a high flame till you get nearly 6 to 7 whistles.
9. If khichdi is too thick, add more water and stir it again.
10. Keep it on low flame till you get the right consistency.
1. Once it’s cooked well, add some ghee on its top while serving.
WATCH VIDEO HERE: