The 117-year-old building collapsed in Bhendi Bazaar area in south Mumbai yesterday morning due to the heavy torrential rains. It has brought the whole city to great worry.
The police said that till now 34 people lost their lives with ten more bodies being pulled out from the heap of debris since last night.
Around 15 people injured in the sudden mishap. A senior police official said that they are undergoing medical treatment at J J Hospital.
The dead include 9 women, 24 men, and a 20-day-old child…!!
The building located in the congested Muslim-dominated Pakmodia Street, the ruined Husaini Building, accommodated many families and godowns. It also has a play school, but children had not come there when the tragedy happened.
Some of the inhabitants claimed that nearly 40 people belonging to nine families lived in crowded rooms in the structure. According to the report by fire brigade officials, some nine families housed in the five-story building.
Waterlogging resulted in the diminishing of the building’s foundation…!!
According to the experts, waterlogging may have made the building foundation weaker. The torrential rains along with the with powerful winds may have worsened the building’s health.
However, this collapse has made given an immediate shock of the loss of life.
The Bhendi Bazaar incident is unfortunate. The disaster management team is on-ground to provide complete support to families & authorities.
— SBUT (@SBUT_Mumbai) August 31, 2017
The building Was Declared Unsafe around 6 Years Ago…!!
It was declared “UNSAFE” by the Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA). The SBUT (Saifee Burhani Upliftment Trust), which was to have undertaken its reconstruction, said the building accommodated a total of 13 tenants. Amongst them 12 are residential, and one is commercial.
— SBUT (@SBUT_Mumbai) August 31, 2017
In a statement SBUT said:
“OF THEM, THE TRUST HAD ALREDAY SHIFTED 7 FAMILIES IN 2013-14”.
“MAHADA NOCTICES DATED MARCH 28 AND MAY 20, 11 DECLARING THE BUILDING DECAYED, WERE ISSUED ALONG WITH AN OFFER OF TRANSIT HOUSING TO THE LEFTOVER TENANTS AND INHABITANTS”.
MHADA Blames SBUT…!!
MHADA held the Saifee Burhani Upliftment Trust responsible for the collapse. SBUT, operated by the Bohra community was granted the rights to reconstruct a cluster of old buildings plus the dilapidated building.
Vaishali Wagh, MHADA chief public relations officer, said:
“IN 2011, WE HAD GIVEN THE NOC FOR REDEVELOPMENT OF THE OLD STRUCTURE, AND WE HAD BEEN FREQUENTLY PURSUING THE PROBLEM. WE HAVE ALL PAPERS AND DATA WITH US.”
She added MHADA had regularly been advising to the families that it was unsafe building and that it had also notified the SBUT of the huge risk.
Rescue operation underway…!!
The officials said that rescue efforts were underway to save people who are still trapped in the debris. The search operation by fire brigade personnel, NDRF, and the Mumbai civic body was continued to search bodies out of the rubble.
6 fire officials injured…!!
Six staff members of the fire department and one from the NDRF also suffered injuries in the rescue operation.
The officials said that around eight fire engines, one ambulance, and rescue van had been deployed at the mishap spot to help the personnel in rescue operations.
9 more people rescued from debris…!!
Fire brigade officials said that another nine people were rescued with injuries from the rubble and admitted to the JJ Hospital.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi offers empathy for deceased victims.
Collapse of a building in Mumbai is saddening. My condolences to the families of those who lost their lives & prayers with the injured: PM
— PMO India (@PMOIndia) August 31, 2017
CM Devendra Fadnavis visits Mumbai Building Collapse incident spot and declared ₹5,00,000 to the families that have lost their lives.
He also said that the state government will give the whole medical expenses of the injured people.
WATCH VIDEOS HERE: