The unexpected demise of the famous Veteran actress Sri Devi due to the drowning in a Dubai hotel has left everyone in profound shock. She was not only talented but had other skills too. She was a charming personality on screen and was loved by a lot of people for her power-packed performances in the films.
In just half-century in B-town, she did nearly 3000 films (Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil, and Telugu) that all three famous Khan’s also could not. It includes Himmatwala, Nagina Tohfa, Mr. India, Chandni, and Sadma, etc. So, check out some of the exciting facts about Sri Devi that you must know.
1. The real name of her was not Sri Devi in fact, she was born as Shree Amma Yanger Ayyappan, and people gave her the title of the first female superstar.
2. The actress shot the song ‘Na Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai’ in spite of 103-degree fever.
3. Sri Devi denied the movie with Steven Speilberg, and she was also approached for a small role in the film ‘Jurrasic Park’ by Steven Speilberg, but she refused it as she felt that it didn’t suit her reputation at that time.
4. This Indian idol named her daughters Khushi and Janhvi after the name of the actress in her husband cum producer Boney Kapoor’s movies ‘Hamara Dil Aapke Pass Hai’ and ‘Judaai.’
5. Sri Devi spelled her name as ‘Sreedevi’ but let the spelling error to continue.
6. The gorgeous lady made the debut in the films at the tender age of four. Her first film was ‘Thunaivan’ in which she portrayed Lord Murugan. Born on August 13, 1963, she has also acted in the movie Julie as a child artist.
7. She made a painting of the actress Sonam Kapoor from film Saawariya. In fact, this painting also got auctioned in Dubai. She loves representing her art skills, and she has taken the art in her last few years. Moreover, she even signed a bond with the actor Salman Khan over the painting. In spite of her full stop, Sallu Bhai motivated her and then she got back into the artistic track.
8. The ‘Mom’ actress has produced ‘Shakti: The Power’ that featured Shah Rukh Khan, Sri Devi was supposed to do a role in the film, but she failed to do it as she was second-time pregnant.
9. In the year 2013, the Government of India awarded her with the honorary Padma Shri award.
10. Sri Devi also voted as India’s Greatest Actress in 100 Years in CNN-IBN public voting launched in 2013 on the special occasion of Centenary of Indian Cinema.
11. This elegant lady has also won the Filmfare Awards five times for the best actress in the leading role.
12. Sridevi Boney Kapoor debuted in the Tamil film at the age of six. She first acted in Thunaivan in the year 1969.
13. The Chandni of Bollywood also sang playback for the movies like as Garajna, Chadini, Sadma, Kshnakshanam.
14. The actress dubbed for the first time in the Hindi for the movie Chandini.
15. In Tamil industry, this Telugu actress did most the number of movies (85) with actor Kamal Hassan.
16. She didn’t dub the dialogues for the Hindi films till Chandni because she could not speak Hindi well. Naaz and Rekha had dubbed in many movies that she did.
17. This famous Indian film actress did 29 plastic surgeries in her lifespan.
18. She was offered Shivagamini role in the film Baahubali 1 and 2, but Sri Devi denied it because of her other commitments.
19. Sri Devi lost her father while shooting Lamhe by Yash Chopra in 1991 (London). Shri Devi did the last rites and returned to shoot a comedy scene with co-star Anupam Kher.
20. The 54-year-old actress was the first choice of the director Abbas Mustan to play a female lead role in the film Baazigar.
21. This renowned screen icon played step-mother of famous actor Rajinikanth on the screen when she was just thirteen years old in the film ‘Mudichu.’
22. The gay community also loves her for what she was.
23. After her marriage with Boney Kapoor in the year 1997, she quit the acting, but she then made a comeback in 2012 with ‘English Vinglish.’
25. Jaya Prada was her strongest competitor, and Sri Devi didn’t even share a friendly relationship with her.